05 October 2009

Welcome to my blog!

This is my first post so i will just say Hi to everyone reading this and welcome. Ill just talk a bit about how i got into Warhammer ... a long time ago in a schoolyard far far away..........

Basically when i was 5-6ish a boy in my class brought in a warhammer 40k catalogue,an old school booklet with the pictures of Valhallans storming an Eldar camp or vice versa, we boys gazed at these pics for hours, (the girls were never interested), we would say things like "oh im that guy cause i would shot that pointy guy then hide behind that box" and so forth and eventually the booklet became so tattered it fell to bits, however my interest in this hobby had already kindled!

Fortunately my dad asked about the hobby to some of his workmates, one of which was quitting it, he gave my dad a sack of Orks with his best wishes and vanished into the fog, never to be seen again.... (actually i think he had a baby and relocated, its more dramatic with the fog).
This sack included Goff warriors and Gretchin foot troops, old school commandos and SS Stormboyz, i also received the characters and cannons of this motley race. Hardly none of it caught my attentions to be brutally honest, all accept my love of the Gretchin and their ranks, their rifles and their discipline in comparison with brutish orks! I did not know it but this would link directly to my all time love, the Imperial Guard.

I ruined orks with my crude painting (by the bucket) but i grew in skill to a point where more paint ended up on the model than on the floor, with this my father let out a mighty cry to the heavens and a box of chaos space marines entered my hobby!

By this time I was around 10 so I was old enough to take painting lessons at the Tunbridge Wells store, (something I will always be grateful for!) the guys there taught me techniques and tricks of the trade and pretty soon I had some decent iron warriors painted up, this wouldn't last however as the heroic space marines caught my hungry eye and soon, with penny pocket money saved I had a squad of crimson fists painted. Over the next 2 years this army developed into around 1000pts with friends from my primary school collecting armies too. The Crimson fists now sit in a box on one of many shelves but they will always be remembered as my first true army.

Guardsmen came about when I joined my secondary school, I bought 2 boxes of infantry and painted them up in winter camo and never looked back :D.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers